Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Wrapping up as Temporary Music Director

As of December 31, I wrapped up my role as Temporary Music Director for ORUUC.  But not before a few final lessons could be learned!

On Monday, Dec 22, the day before our Solstice Concert, I came down with the flu.  Like, the real flu - where I went to the clinic and got a swab up my nose to find out that I had Flu A.  Chills and fever and all that stuff they talk about on TV.  I won't lie, it SUCKED.  I spent three full days in bed, even with the Tamiflu.  I felt physically horrible and emotionally even worse.  I could not fulfill my commitment to host the Solstice Concert -- and I also wasn't able to attend Christmas Eve service.  I felt like I let my congregation down.  And I was also disappointed that I wouldn't be able to direct the choir in these two events.  It was heart-wrenching.

I was saved by several music heroes.  I'm calling them out in my blog because I'm just so darn appreciative of these people.  Michael Raymond took charge of logistics for both events.  Nancy Starr directed the choir pieces.  And Gina Grubb made sure the band was set up for success.  This team took over for me when all I could do was send emails from my phone on my sick bed.  And both events happened.  Music was made.  And although I was not a part of it, I felt like my planning contributed in some small way to making it all happen.

After I felt a bit better and was no longer contagious, I went into the ORUUC Music Office to pack my things and leave some helpful information (passwords, coming events, etc.) for our new Interim Music Director, Ashton.  It was bittersweet - feeling proud of what I've accomplished in keeping our music program moving for the past three months and really sad to let go.  This role has confirmed my calling ... and I will always be grateful for that.

This past Sunday was spent in meetings with Ashton, describing responsibilities and the status of various projects.  Then, as my final act as Music Director, I directed the choir in a Christmastide Festival.  It's a way for our local church choirs to get together and hear the pieces performed around town during the holidays.  And although 15 or 16 of our choir members had said they would be available, the flu and other illnesses are still going around... so 8 showed up.  That might freak out other Music Directors, but looking at those who were willing to sing, I knew we'd be alright.  I decided to sing along, too.  And, thankfully, I got used to directing from within a group when I led our a cappella choir in high school - so head nod cut offs come naturally.  Our small ensemble of 9 (Nancy, April, Annie, Linda, Michael, Dave, Larry, Duane, and me), accompanied by our wonderful pianist Charlotte, rocked the Christmastide Festival with tight harmonies and accurate cut offs.  It was a fitting - and beautiful - way to transition from leader to choir member. Thank you all.

And that brings me to this week.  This week, I don't have to organize or prepare or direct anything for ORUUC Music.  My music classes don't start for two more weeks.  Other than my regular Monday evening and Wednesday evening commitments, my schedule is open.  So, I'm trying to enjoy this brief downtime.  Anyone wanna do lunch?

No comments:

Post a Comment